I finally got a chance to do some work at the server without the pain of using Remote Desktop. I was messing around a bit, and needed a restart. Restart I did. However, after the initial Windows Server 2003 screen, I got the infamous blue screen of death:
“The registry cannot load the hive (file)”
Now thats a failure! Hive file, WTF? I didn’t get a screen shot, but some other dude has had the same thing. I actually didn’t wait for the memory to dump to disk, I have no time for niceties.
Luckily my method of sorting this mess out was less tortured than his:
I tried Safe Mode. No cigar, same screen. Bugger.
I have the Windows Server 2003 CDs so I got them out. 1 issue. No CD Player in the server and I do not have a USB CD player, just IDE ones. Bugger.
Get the server out of the rack, take the hood off and connect the CD drive to the spare IDE slot and connect (just reached) to the spare molex. Was not recognised by motherboard. Bugger.
Swapped jumper on CD Drive to cable select - was on master. We are off and running. Changed the BIOS to try the CD drive first. We are into the Windows installer! When given the option, I press R for the Recovery Console. After being prompted for the admin password, I ran the following commands:
ren software software.bak
This goes to the directory where the dodgy registry software crap is, takes a copy (just in case) and then copies a repair, older version from a repair directory. Reboot time…
Shutdown, remove IDE CD player, close hood. startup. It works!
Put back in rack
Wow. I can now do some work!